FSS was founded on January 4th, 1921, and it is the oldest school student union in the world. This rich history gives us both the experience to know what we are doing, but also a firm foundation to rely on, for progressive and radical ideas on education to emerge.
School students from lower secondary school (13-16 years old) and upper secondary school (mainly 16-19 years old, some older) can become members.
Number of Members: approximately 5000 members.
- Free access to education
- School student rights
- School democracy
- Youth empowerment and influence
- To be a channel of influence for school students and to encourage school students to get actively involved in society
- Representing school students on a national level towards authorities, the media and other NGOs and stakeholders.
- Studiekortet (The student card) grants to members discounts on a large amount of different services such as transportation (trains, buses, ferries), cultural events, book stores etc. Its purpose is also to recognize the school students as a distinctive group in society with specific rights and needs.
- Kulturkarnevalen (The Cultural Carnival) where hundreds of school students can participate in workshops led by professional actors, musicians etc. It is in a way FSS’s view on what education could and should be, and is FSS’s primary tool of advocating non formal education.