The organisation was born in 2007 from the merge of the apprentice students’ organisation (INSÍ) with the theoretical students organization (HÍF) to create a united organization aimed at fighting for the rights of all students (theoretical, apprentice and vocational).
Upper secondary school students.
Number of Members: 30 000 Students nationwide
- to improve students’ rights.
- to promote better education in secondary education and equality of students.
- to support its members in their work.
- to support and promote students in social activities and promote social development.
- to ensure participation of student when it comes to shaping the secondary school system
- HOFF (Health empowerment and addiction preventions in secondary schools). Co-organised with the Ministry of Education, the project aims at preventing young people from abusing drugs, alcohol, computers etc.
- In co-operation with the Student union of the University of Iceland, campaign against tuition fees and students’ overwork.
- Each semester we have a book market where books are sold at a lower price.
- The Icelandic student loan fund (LÍN). SÍF has a seat in the board of directors, and there we speak on behalf of the students attending apprenticeships.
- SÍF started a project aiming at helping people from the upper–secondary schools facing unemployment, in order to involve them in activities during the summer. The aim of the project it to create a space for young people to come together, share good ideas and put them into practice. The project is based on the open source ideology and participants are invited to improve every idea with their own opinion and view.