Unione Degli Studenti was founded in 1994 as a direct follow up of various student movements claiming for their rights and recognition. UdS has been one of the main promoter for the charter of rights for students, approved in the late 90s. The project has then grown and gained its total independence and autonomy, both politically and economically, reaching now a high peak of representation, recognition inside and outside schools and is seen as a relevant stakeholders when it comes to educational matters.
Every student attending secondary education – general, VET, apprenticeship based – can join UdS on an individual membership base either by signing the value manifesto or by getting a membership card.
Number of members: 9000 individual members.
UdS fights everyday for:
- respect of students rights already guaranteed by the charter and for the claim of new rights needed by students;
- the actual implementation of the right to study and the demand for a better and real welfare;
- for democratic participation of each and every student, so that they can express on whatever matter concerns them, in and outside school;
- for safe and sustainable schools and learning environments;
- for the implementation of new forms of teaching and learning which put the student at the core of the learning process;
- for inclusive educational systems, against all kind of fascism, racism, sexism and bullying;
- for intercultural learning, and for the abolishment of the teaching of professions in schools;
- for new inclusive and democratic evaluation and assessments methods, against standardised tests
- for quality investments in education;
- for a better vision and perspective on VET as a valuable option and not only a labour force creator;
- for peace, solidarity and social justice.
Over the past few years UdS vastly covered topics like welfare, INVALSI tests boycott (national PISAs), safe schools and investment in safety in schools. UdS run several campaigns on investment on education and different representation laws proposed by governments. Also the organisation focused a lot on VET and quality apprenticeships. With Rete della Conoscenza, UdS run several actions and campaign on gender issues, lgbtq+ campaigns and focused a lot on the matter of youth unemployment.
- Campaigns on school matters, like e.g. the respect of the students rights statute and the participation of students in school – life, promotion of laws which grant the right to study for everybody, for an innovative didactic in schools;
- Campaigns on general topics, like e.g. Europe, international solidarity, fair trade, anti mafia;
- Campaigns on social rights, like e.g. the integration of migrants, homosexuals, for anti-proibitionism;
- Other campaigns and activities can be found on the website.