At the Lithuanian School Student Conference 1996 the National School Student Council was founded. On 13-14th of December 1998, at the 2nd Lithuanian School Student Conference it was decided to register the organization in the Ministry of Justice of Lithuania by changing its name to the Lithuanian School Student Union (Lietuvos moksleivių sąjunga or LMS). On 18th of May 1999, the Lithuanian School Student Union got its official status as a non-profit organization.
To represent school students by forming Education and Youth policies, educating school students with urgent issues, joining them in common activities by cooperating with governmental and non-governmental institutions, creating a perfect community for schools and their students.
Some organisation aims have not changed for a long time, while others come and go according to new needs and problems. By doing these activities Lithuanian School Student Union:
- Encourages school students’ initiatives, inter-understanding and collaboration;
- Represents school students by forming an impact of Youth and an Education policy as well by collaborating with governmental and non-governmental institutions;
- Unites school students to solve common problems;
- Collects, analyzes and promotes school student councils guidelines in Lithuania and abroad;
- Develops international relations between school students;
- Organizes meeting, debates and conferences on relevant topics for students.
- Creation of umbrella structure for Lithuania students autonomies, cities/district students councils and students councils information centres;
- Lithuania students union development;
- Lithuania students union acknowledgment of being Lithuania students representative organ;
- Lithuania students empowerment.