Uniunea Elevilor din Moldova was founded in early September 2016 by a group of high school students from Chisinau, the capital of the country. In November 2016, the organisation started developing on a regional level, implementing some important projects in the fields of student safety on the road (ArtZebras project), media education, as well as supporting high school students acting in domains of IT, sport, arts and community ("Student of the Year" award). UEM is a non-profit youth organisation, officially recognised by the Ministry of Youth and Sports of Moldova, as well as by the Ministry of Justice of Moldova.
Every high school student aged 14-19 can become member of UEM. UEM’s managing team organizes recruiting campaigns every half a year throughout the whole country. There are two kinds of membership: observer members (representing schools) and affiliate members (school students). Currently, in UEM there are 100 observer members, and around 60.000 affiliate members.
- To represent high school students' voice towards institution;
- To reform Moldovan education for the better;
- To integrate discriminated students in schools of the country.
- Inclusive and tolerant, democratic education in the whole country;
- Real representation of students’ will on local and national level, such as Ministry of Education and/or Local Department of Education;
- Educational system development.
Despite its young age, UEM has already organised several activities at national level:
- First educational forum in Moldova, EDUForum 2017 in May of 2017 with 11 speakers with different background;
- ArtZebras (on going) – promotion of students’ safety on the road by coloring pedestrian crossings nearby schools, in order to get students’ and drivers’ attention;
- Admission Academy – a project which helps a students to choose a university in their home country and/or abroad.
"Student of the Year Award", project aimed to promote students’ extracurricular achievements, with 150 participants and 12 finalists in May of 2017.